Susie is correct in saying that the reason some messages appear funny is
because the sender is not using plain text.  Different systems interpret the
html or rich text in different ways, so the problem is partly the way the
message was sent and partly the way the receiving computer translates it.  Two
computers using *exactly* the same formats won't have a problem.

I haven't had an arachne message showing html coding, but I do occasionally get
messages with odd characters for some of the punctuation marks.  That's because
my system (Mac OS 10.6.8) is interpreting the upper ASCII set of characters
differently from the sending computer.  The lower ASCII set (0-127) are
standard, all computers use the same, but the upper set (128-255) vary.

Brenda

On 20 Apr 2012, at 16:25, jeanette wrote:

> These strange messages
> are always from the same people.

Brenda in Allhallows
www.brendapaternoster.co.uk