Dear Liz et al,

Thanks for the input.  Y'know, my Dad always said, "When in doubt, read the
directions."  I checked my book, the one by Barbara Corbet, which I highly
recommend, and she suggests the plait.  However it seems to me that the pin
solution is faster, and possibly more accurate. I will have to experiment.  I
was trying to figure out how to prevent holes next to the gimp when decreasing,
and figured with all the expertise out there, I didn't have to re-invent the
wheel.  How right I was. Thank you all.

Lyn in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA, where I'm trying to be sure to be near the
blooming antique rosebush as it goes into a magnificent display.