How very interesting David.  There are rectangular bobbins available -- I
use them since I can't seem to get my thread to stay wound.  But they are
the larger size

Magnetic paint is available to use, but it may blacken the thread.   Then,
you would have to use a lot of energy to pick up the bobbins, and more
energy for your fingers to pick up the small diameter.

I'm assuming that you're trying to get away from any type of storage of the
bobbins.  If the bobbins had just enough magnetic paint to hold to a
magnetic tape, then a storage device could be used scoop up the bobbins (in
their working order) to store them easily.  My thought was a bobbin with a
smaller diameter magnetic piece on the end and that would lock on to a piece
of plywood (or card) 7x4" with magnetic tape on the bottom  7" side.
Probably wouldn't travel, but on a permanent table might work.

Can't wait to see what others think up.

Love your thinking
Diane Z
Lubec, Maine, USA