Hello David and everyone

Ok, mind is cleared (as much as possible) per your request.

Slender paddle-shaped metal bobbins on a magnetic platform, hmmm, yes you
could fit many more than our conventional type on the apron area in a
single layer. You are moving the bobbins by the pick-up-and-put-down method
(as opposed to rolling them as some like to do). You are making point
ground lace which overall, doesn't require that much thread per bobbin. The
bobbins don't get jumbled being held in place by the magnetic force, which
isn't so strong that the bobbin can't be picked up readily (not earth
magnet force as I think someone mentioned!).

Some questions - will there be much strain on the outermost threads?
Flat or rounded metal bobbins? You mention coat hanger wire - would that be
friendly to silk thread? Could the bobbins be crook-shaped for
thread-minding off the hitch?
You would probably want the thread package to be above the pillow surface
to avoid abrasion, an advantage of having the paddle shaped end, or
rectangle, its thickness greater than its width as you mention (I had an
idea that you could wear tiny magnets on the fingers to pick up the
bobbins, but ... no, complicated and clumsy).

Your magnetic sheet need only be a layer between the bobbins and the
pillow, then the pins would be going through a conventional pillow surface.
The magnetic sheet could last indefinitely. To mark groups of bobbins,
place a small fridge magnet. Could you move groups via a system of longer
magnetic strips placed over the rectangular ends?

The hypothesis seems to me a fair proposition for those who make lace in a
steady, deliberate manner. Then there are others - speaking for myself
entirely - who tend to get giddy and can imagine I'd get all the bobbins
magnetized to each other in clumps.

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of
Canada