Clay what a wonderful tribute to your friend and a treasure for her son and
husband! To incorporate her scrubs was a brilliant idea. Fabrics, like music
and smells can pull up such strong memories.
Thanks for sharing that.
Dona

On Nov 27, 2012, at 8:50 AM, Clay Blackwell wrote:

> Quite a few years ago, a very dear friend of mine died.  She left a
seven-year-old son.  I wanted to do something to help, but lived several
hundred miles away.  I decided to make him a memory quilt.  I used a simple
star pattern quilt which had squares in the center of each star, where I
placed the pictures.  Her husband sent me many pictures to choose from, as
well as a box of her colorful nursing scrubs.  Because she had chosen her
scrubs herself, and wore them daily, they were all familiar to her son, and
not surprisingly, they all complimented each other.  I knew that the grieving
process is difficult for a child, so each of the pictures was covered by four
triangles that could be opened to reveal the picture.

> His father hung the quilt in the child's bedroom, but he (the child) did not
want it there.  So it was moved to the father's room.  Before long, the child
began to visit it, and gradually began to look at the pictures, and finally
asked to have it in his room.

> The other thing that struck me was that working on this quilt was the best
thing I could have done to get me through my own grieving process.  There were
lots of tears, and lots of good memories sewn into it!