No, I'm using a Swedish roller pillow, with a wide apron, and as I said in a later message the flannel on the pillow prevents the bobbins from rolling.

I was really just intrigued that the inclusion of half stitch made the bobbins unwind, which they hadn't done on the earlier strip on either side of the pattern

Sue

sueba...@comcast.net

This sounds like the problem may be due to the pillow you are using. Are you using a cookie pillow with a high dome that would cause bobbind on the left to roll to the left, those on the right to roll towards the right.