In a past discussion, it was mentioned that cotton and linen are plant products
while silk is an animal product.  The cotton thread would be more compatible
with the linen fabric than silk thread, on a long term basic.  For a one-use
item, it wouldn't matter much, but a christening gown is apt to be passed down
through several generations before it gets worn out.

Alice in Oregon  --- gray, wet, dreary.  I'm getting lots of lace made because
I don't want to leave my warm house.