I made a circular veil for my City & Guilds in Lacemaking. It consists of a 2 inch wide tamboured edging (with freshwater pearls) joined onto a circle of cotton tulle, 60 inches in diameter. (This required the edging to be 72 inches long - the 5m required for my Canadian Lacemaker Gazette 5m club membership!). This lace does have a definite right and wrong side, and when I display it (it hasn't been worn) it is done so folded in half, but the sides could be brought forward over the face rather than downwards, if you see what I mean!

The lace on my veil is mounted as an edging, so there isn't any tulle under the lace itself - which if you have an edging which can be viewed from both sides, when you mount each layer could you do so in such a way that the 'unwanted' tulle is cut away - it would mean the inner rings of lace being insertions rather than edgings (ie straight on both sides) and having two circuits to join each time - but this will also help reduce some of the weight.

Of course, it depends on whether you want the lace to be layered in appearance, or look as if it is one piece of fabric.

In message <caew-wa_vjy_eks645ghthqox89rsdbangrhjc4ccocmongv...@mail.gmail.com>, Karen M. Zammit Manduca <kazama...@gmail.com> writes
I followed with interest the recent discussion on wedding veils since I am
preparing to work one as soon as I have finalised the pattern.

Now I have another problem to solve. I want to make the veil round and in
tulle on which I will mount the finished lace. I will be starting from the
border and working in towards the middle

:-) The main concern is that from the wrong side, the lace will be visible
beneath the tulle i.e. the lace will be have to show through the tulle,
whereas some of it will be on top of the tulle. Will this look strange?

--
Jane Partridge