Marjorie writes:

When youngsters were making lace, they sat still where they could  be
supervised; but plaiting was a craft which could be done while
standing  up or walking about.  Plaiters could therefore go roaming
around the  countryside, getting up to goodness knew what, while
plaiting ... They got a  reputation for being no better than they
should be  <G>.

But were lacemakers any better  than they ought to be? The discovery of a
lace pillow in the archeological  excavation of a privy associated with a
brothel in the Five Points  section of New York has made me wonder whether lace
making and  prostitution were not practiced by some people at the same
time. It  doesn't seem to me like it was an either/or situation. For one thing,
a  prostitute spends time waiting for clients. Apparently in New York,
prostitutes  and everyone else, including invalids and children, were quite
likely  doing piecework, such as "sewing collars" during any down  time.
In England and Europe, there  was a common practice of teaching women to
make lace so they wouldn't fall into  prostitution, or so they could escape
prostitution, but we know that lacemaking  wasn't exactly well compensated.
So, it would seem that those inclined to  lacemaking and those inclined to
prostitution are often the same economic  group. Prostitutes are being trained
to make lace, and lace makers might need to  supplement their income
sometimes with prostitution. In fact, prostitutes  might even need to
supplement
their income with lace making.
Although personally, I think that the blindness associated  with lacemaking
is normal vision changes with age, one theory is that they got  venereal
disease because they tended to live in port towns with a lot of  sailors,
another tantalizing detail.
Sitting outside the cottage making lace would afford better  light, but
also provide an excuse for being outside the cottage next to the  street.
Clearly, some lace makers also engaged in straw plaiting,  which seems to
be associated with "loose" behavior.
Does anyone have any evidence to illuminate this subject?

Devon
PS. Ancestors of present company excluded, of course. Lace  making and
homemaking are also strongly associated.