There is a reason for this, that many who have joined the list since the change was made won't realise.

Originally, the responses were the other way round, and hitting 'reply' sent to the list rather than just the sender.

This caused a problem - because some Arachnes post from computers at work, they were unable to turn off the email receipt notification and these notifications caused havoc bouncing back and forth - especially in the days when we could receive up to 40 Arachne messages per day! The only cure was to change things round, so that any automatic receipt would go to the sender, not the list - problem solved.

I still have copies of the Arachne Handbooks that were sent automatically to new members to the list years ago, (I don't know if they still are?) which explain some of the things like why the list split (into lace and lace chat), netiquette, etc, would it be worth posting them again? Bear in mind, though, that some of the information in them is now out of date, but they make interesting reading.

In message <d5db1f77-8f7a-4614-ab99-a9b203bac...@sbcglobal.net>, Cynce Williams <cyncewilli...@sbcglobal.net> writes
Small comment. On my system I can usually just hit "reply" to answer to the
group. On Arachne I need to hit "reply all" for my answer to be seen by the
group as well as the person I'm answering. Sometimes I'll repost. Most times I
don't.

--
Jane Partridge