I often use a cloth similar to a cover cloth when I'm knitting or tatting... I
lay it on my lap so that I can drop my work into it, wrap it quickly and move
it so it doesn't get tangled/dirty when putting it into my bag. When spinning,
a similar cloth keeps lint and dust off my clothes. Rather than covering my
lace pillow, it covers my lap. Sometimes these cloths are simple woven
dishtowels from Ikea or World Market, but other times they're linen tea towels
picked up on my travels.

Katrina

--
Katrina Worley
Loomis, California

On Mar 16, 2013, at 10:14 AM, Jane Partridge <jpartri...@pebble.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> Not much use to a tatter, knitter or crocheter, and possibly only a little
so to a needle-lacemaker! We do tend to forget that there are forms of lace
other than bobbin lace on Arachne :-)

> To answer John's question, it is usually either a square or rectangle of
cloth, about the size of a tea-towel, that can either
> a) sit over the bottom half of a pricking/under the bobbins (when it is
often called a 'working cloth') - this has the advantage of stopping the
threads rubbing against the edges of the pricking or, on a fully dressed
pillow (which also has cloths covering the sides of the pricking or completed
work) catching on pins that have been pushed down or
> b) be placed over the pillow and any work on it when you move away for any
reason - either placed on if you are coming straight back, or pinned on for
transportation.

> Cover cloths used under the bobbins are usually plain material to stop you
going bozz-eyed after working for hours!

<CAEtMP78SB8j3koOoqhE0X2seA9e=05huwshooknepxpj0+5...@mail.gmail.com>, John
Mead <johnbobm...@gmail.com> writes