On Mar 18, 2013, at 4:26 PM, lynrbai...@desupernet.net wrote:

> [...] am convinced that peccadille is the French for the Spanish piccadillo,
> which means, in French, a small sin,
> http://www.larousse.com/en/dictionnaires/francais/peccadille/58870  and
> http://www.mediadico.com/dictionnaire/francais-anglais/peccadille    At
> least, that's what it means now.

Means the same thing in English, too:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/peccadillo

Indeed, that was the first interpretation I thought of, not the Piccadilly
Circus at all. But, once the Piccadilly Circus connection was pointed out, I
wondered just what sort of "monkey business" (if not, necessarily, a full
circus) had been going on there, in 16th and early 17th century... :)

Nothing, it appears; there was no Piccadilly Circus till (early) 19th century...
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/