I purchased several pairs of clip-on and flip-up magnifiers in varying
degrees of intensity for my off-the-shelf magnifiers.  i can put them up
out of the way when not needed but have them handy at a flip with my hand.
 i use this with regular sunglasses when i drive and need to read something
rapidly and it is much easier than taking the sunglasses off and putting on
the magnifiers to "read" which usually are either on my head, in the
neckline of my blouse/shirt or in my backpack.  that really comes in handy
having the convenience readily available.

i tried this for some close work lately (turning 70 next month) but found
using my regular intensity magnifiers (2.25) with a half glass pair in
front (2.0) is just perfect.  I found some half glasses with no rims so it
is like wearing bifocals.  i don't need the intensity and try to make my
eyes work with less help as much as possible.  guess that is why my eyes
are so good on their own.  i can do most crafts with just a bit of help.
 now that phone book (and thank goodness we have the internet now for
avoiding using them) it is a totally different matter - i go and find very
high intensity glasses or grab that magnifying glass - you know the one
they use as an icon for "search"?

the best thing i just discovered the last couple of months is that some
magnifier glasses have the intensity etched on the bottom corner of the
lens so i can know what i am grabbing.  i wear the same pair(s) all the
time - some are 1.75, 2.00 or 2.25 - and never know which is which.  i keep
pairs everywhere too.  i found the Dollar Tree, 99 Cent Stores and such
carry off-the-shelf magnifying glasses and so when they are scratched or
well worn, i can replace them or lose them without too much worry.  i have
folding up one in cases places that i might need to grab them for lack of
the usual ones.  i keep a 4.0 pair in my bathroom for slivers and such.

well, we are very fortunate to have this tool available to us.  i just
recommend you try to keep your eyes working for you.  my daughter 20 years
younger is wearing 3.5 intensity because she would not believe her mother
knew best.  i watch for 3.5, 3.75 and 4.0 for her but wish she had taken
care earlier in life.  another trick is wearing sunglasses all your life.
 it keeps your eyes healthy later in life and also avoids crow's feet from
squinting.

happy lacing.

--
Hugs, Lin and the Mali