Very, very lucky - not only could this have caused a fire in which possessions other than the lace itself to be lost - and perhaps lives - but polystyrene, as I'm sure Alex knows, gives off toxic fumes when it burns, so just by smouldering it could have caused damage to health as well as putting a hole in the pillow and pricking.

We have in the past had warnings about not keeping polystyrene pillows near ANY heat source, be it an open fire or a central heating radiator, and to be careful about removing or covering magnifiers when a pillow is left.

Please be careful - your life is worth far more than the lace!

It might be useful, even life-saving, to include this tale in the introduction, Alex?

In message <A3D1C115543844EC81C316F0449C4260@salex>, Alex Stillwell <alexstillw...@talktalk.net> writes
So please take care when making lace in front of an
open wood fire.

Am I disaster prone?

--
Jane Partridge