Dear Doris, et al,
Personally, I doubt that anyone alive today will need to worry about living
without books, because they are all some sort of electronic.  I usually choose
paper books, but it must be admitted that a book or two on the phone is a
comfort and space saver, especially ones I already have that are way, way
outside the copyright laws.  Pride and Prejudice on my phone, Ruins of Lace is
there, to see if I want to read it again before forking out any more money than
less than a ride on the subway in New York.

For the last 500 years, humankind has been dealing with paper books.  I don't
think we've seen the end of those yet.  We may yet, but not right now.  And,
who knows, maybe digital books are enticing those who don't read REAL books to
read.  Only time will tell.  I do know that reference books are easier to use
as books, and more reliable in a way.  Paper books don't crash.

While libraries are wonderful, it is good to have certain books, Tolkein, Jane
Austen, Harry Potter, those we read over and over, on the shelves.  It gives a
sense of security.  And then there are the lace books, which libraries and
digital books don't have, so you get them the old fashioned way.  Old fashioned
can be very, very cool.  lrb

Doris wrote:
>How will the quotations change when we have only kindle editions? "A room
>without books is like a body without a soul": "When I get a little money I buy
>books: and if any is leftover I buy food and clothes".

"My email sends out an automatic  message. Arachne members,
please ignore it. I read your emails."