Hi Clay

In my experience those with a maths bias tend to be more accurate and can
understand how the threads work. In the many years I have been teaching I have
come across many who show this ability and who should have been good at maths,
but sadly for some reason or other it did not happen. Starting my career
teaching maths/science I have always been interested to find out why not.
Surprisingly sometimes it was as simple as returning to school after an
illness to find the subject had moved on and they feeling they could not catch
up assumed they could not do it. Just because a person thinks she cannot do
maths does not mean that the ability to think logically and ‘see’ straight
lines is not there.

Being mathematical is not at the expense of being creative. You can be both,
although there are some who require perfection and making lace that is
geometrically accurate is essential. These lacemakers prefer the geometrical
laces and find it very hard to make floral Bucks and the Lester type Beds in
which judgement is frequently made between two techniques, neither of which
will give a perfect result. Fortunately there are so many different forms of
lacemaking that we can all find plenty to satisfy our individual needs.

Happy lacemaking whichever type you make and whether you can do maths or not.

Alex