But........
Orange is a lovely colour to work on and not at all tiring to the eyes. It and
red are commonly used as the pricking colour in Spain, which is where I first
tried it, and I brought orange film back to the UK. Everyone of my students
who has tried it prefers it to blue or even the traditional brown card colour.
White/cream/ecru shows much better against it than against pale blue, as do
many colours. Not orange of course!

It is now available in the UK from one of the general suppliers.

Look at the Lace Guild Facebook page to see Mary making ((and finishing) the
super quick scarf, the pattern for which was in her goody bag at convention
this year. She has orange film over yellow card with lavender blue wool.

Jacquie.

Jacquie, I didn’t know that orange film even existed!  I am guessing you
start with white (or yellow?) paper and add the orange-coloured film on top.
I thought the pattern was sold on orange paper to discourage photocopying.  I
bought a pattern book in Japan and the patterns, which were an insert to the
book, were printed on purple paper.  Not wanting to work on the original, I
tried to photocopy it but colour photocopies are shiny.  In the end I used the
original and put film on the back to give it some strength.  I understand that
designers want to discourage photocopying but printing on coloured paper makes
it difficult to enlarge or reduce.  I guess that is the price we pay because
of a few dishonest people who do not obey copyright rules.

So, for my next project, I will try an orange background.  Don’t expect my
opinion about orange for a while though; my silk scarf is only about half
done.

Ruth Johnson
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada