There are many styles of jabots.  Some take more lace than others.  Do some
browsing through lace books you have access to and you may find several ideas.
Do some browsing on the internet also.

You don't list your location with your signature.  I'm guessing UK since your
mayors often wear lace jabots.

Some years back, the ladies of The Border Lacemakers made new jabots for the
town council,I think... the booklet they published had eight patterns in it.
The booklet was titled Millennium Jabot Patterns.  They were Torchon edgings
about 2.5 to 3 inches wide with corner-finished ends.  However, the booklet
does not have any pictures on how the finished jabots were made or how long the
edgings were.  Are there any Border Lacemakers on the List that can tell us how
they were made or any details?

One popular style has an edging stitched in zigzag fashion up a narrow,
triangular fabric base.  This takes roughly a yard of lace if the bottom width
is about 5 inches and the finished length about 10 inches long if the edging is
about 3 inches wide.  Draw out the desired finished size and the sewing lines
for the lace.  Measure it, and add a bit more for shrinkage of the lace.  If
you want ruffled lace, I suggest using a curved pattern for the lace.

It can be a fun project.

Alice in Oregon -- where last night we had a huge thunder storm just overhead
and a deluge -- while at an outdoor wedding.  Lightning struck the property
where we were but no one was hurt except the grass.