Hi Jeri,

I paid import duty on books one time when I brought in several
hundred dollars worth of books through customs, even though they were all
different titles: my total was over the personal exemption limit, which at the
time was $200, so I paid duty on the amount over $200. (My luggage was VERY
heavy.)  Just recently I brought about $1500 worth of stuff back, but paid no
duty because the personal exemption limit is now up to $1000 or something like
that, and about $1100 of what I'd bought was antique lace (antiques aren't
subject to duty), so the total of stuff that wasn't duty-free was less than
the personal exemption limit. The list of stuff that is duty-free is fairly
short actually, and books ain't on it.

Two things to glean from this:
1)
Import duty is owed on books if they are being brought in for resale, or if
the total worth of them is over the personal exemption allowance.
2)  Be sure
to always get a certificate of authenticity and age if you buy antique lace
overseas--it has to be over 100 years old to be duty-free, and customs
inspectors are not going to be able to judge the age of lace.

Bottom line:
always buy lace :-).

Nancy
Connecticut, USA