Import Taxes?  For Books?  In the U.S.?

One thing I've noticed in these posts about inflated prices is references
to paying import charges.  I have obtained many books from overseas  --  and
NO DUTY was charged on them.  Here is how books come  home to me from other
nations:

1.  Direct purchase, gift, or a reviewer's copy is mailed to  me.
2.  Ordered via local independent book shop, shipped to  them..
3.  Ordered via American lace book suppliers, shipped to  them..
4.  Hand carried in luggage and cleared through Customs.

Is this tax some of you are referring to charged to suppliers who  import
one title in large quantities?  That would be the only  difference from my
single copy book orders

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center
(Over 4,000 lace/embroidery books in private  library)