Karen,

Your students must be very grateful that they don't have to  carry card,
"paper scissors" and rare, expensive, imported, blue Contact  paper to class,
and then spend valuable class time cutting and sticking their  patterns.
Actually this is a return to the traditional way of doing things. When  I
started making lace in the 1970s my teacher pricked each pattern, several  at a
time, on a heavy tan card, inscribing the gimp line with in water  proof ink
with a fountain pen, and charged the student for the  pricking. Photocopying
and blue film freed the teacher from this time consuming  process. We
welcomed progress then.

But now...
Imagine if you were trying to interest a young person in  taking up
lacemaking, and you had to explain that a necessary prerequisite  is to buy an
extremely rare blue contact paper, imported from  England costing $4.50 for a
piece 15" x 16" to turn a single piece of  white paper blue and stick it to a
piece of card, thus simulating  the effect of printing the pattern on a blue
card. What do you think would  be their reaction? In fact, try explaining
this to your husband, and see what  his reaction is :-)

Since it would appear that Alice in Oregon's group is in the  unenviable
position of having to obtain a new roll of blue film to divide among
themselves, now that the good Samaritan in Europe is no longer able to
facilitate
that process, perhaps they should lead the way by buying a  package of blue
paper (or card) at Staples and urging their teachers  to use it for patterns.
They could also buy a roll of clear matte film at Ace  Hardware, if they
want to divide it, although in that a roll of this costs about  as much as a
small piece of blue film, it would hardly seem to be worth the  effort.

Devon