Well, we have covered the Blue Film (and alternatives) subject to  death,
so I thought to look at some of my bobbin lace books for photos of old  and
not-so-old lace makers and lace pillows for a sense of history and  with a
sense of present-day conservation experience.

For centuries, lace makers did very well without modern lighting, and used
acid-free card prickings.  I noticed in one early Springett book that  she
recommended the film for protecting thread from ink dyes when a pricking was
 marked.  In this case, she did not mention vision and color contrast.
The lace makers in old photos are often quite advanced in years, yet  managed
to see without much contrast between card and thread  color.  They used
naked card prickings!

See prickings on antique and post-World War 2 pillows:

1.  Luxton's Honiton Lace book jackets (3)
2.  Nottingham's Bucks and Bobbin Lace book jackets (4)
3.  Skovgaard's Tonder Lace book jacket
4.  Stott's Bucks Point Lace book jacket
5.  Raffel's Laces of Ipswich book jacket and inside text,
and many more books.

Pillows with intact antique card prickings have survived in  collections
and museums.  You can see more in lace maker post cards  from European nations
and in Lace Guild magazine articles.  They do not  have film on prickings
before World War 2.

For a museum lace exhibition I curated over 25 years ago, I borrowed some
19th C. dark green velum prickings from an old lace collection.  I  would be
surprised if the orange card prickings were in use in the 19th  C.  If a
pricking is attached to an antique pillow being offered  on eBay, it is a
piece of card.

Many times I have cautioned against using "Scotch" tape, adhesives, and
glues on all laces (even lace ID scrapbooks), because they off-gas fumes.
Some lace makers leave pillows idle for long periods of time, and should be
aware of this.  Off-gasing is in the form of chemical fumes which can  affect
thread color and strength and leave permanent stains.  Anything  sticky is
bad - microcosms may feed on substances in the adhesive.  They  leave
stains.  Think of what has happened to your old Scotch-tape-mended
correspondence, photo  and scrap albums when non-archival products  were used..

Also, there is the transfer of sticky to lace pins, and maybe  thread.  A
nuisance to remove, if even possible (from the  thread).

Since 21st C. lacemakers rarely re-use a pricking, why not make one of  a
dye-fast heavy paper that you prick, and pin the paper pattern  instructions
to the side of a roller pillow, or prop on a small easel?

Pre-World War 1 lace makers did not incur any unnecessary expense when
making lace to earn their bread and butter!

I am beginning to think that someone of influence 45 years ago, when  lace
books with patterns first began to be widely published,  dreamt this up.
The idea spread, and now everyone thinks it is  necessary.

Devon gave us a very clear memo about using heavy colored paper or  card
stock for prickings.  I took a sheet of Staples acid-free  lightish blue 67
lb. cover stock, laid it on my kitchen counter, laid  a piece of white DMC
embroidery floss (very absorbent) on the paper, wet 2  sheets of acid-free
Bounty paper towels and laid them on top, slopped more water  on, and weighted
with a cutting board.  I went back later, and the thread  was still white.
We can test in our home laboratories.

Again, I suggest you think of the consequences when you use lace  supplies
and methods not used in the 16th to 20th centuries.  There were  many
thousands more lace makers than today.  They would have used acid-free  card
made
from old rags, not tree pulp.  They would have experimented  to find the
most efficient and safe ways to make lace.  Are some of these  new practices
really necessary?

Please save in your Conservation binder.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center