In the 17th century there were laces made from premade tapes.  The tapes
were tacked onto a pattern and filled with often very beautiful and  elaborate
needle lace stitches. These tapes look to be of woven linen. When the
tapes go around a curve they are gathered, or turned over, so it is quite clear

that they were not made with bobbins on a pillow with the patten on it,  in
which case the maker would have shaped the tape
Does anyone know how or where these tapes were produced? Were  they
produced on a little loom, like a ribbon loom?
Santina Levey discusses this kind of lace on p. 23 of her book  under the
heading "Tape Lace". She does not speak of how the tapes were  made.
A cursory search of the internet results in the claim that  tapes for Mezzo
Punto were either woven or made with bobbins. However, I don't  know
whether to believe that premade tapes were ever made with bobbins. This may  be
bit of misinformation repeated over and over again due to generalized
statements in which tapes laces such as Milanese are conflated with Mezzo
Punto.
I would think it would be much easier to make such tapes with  a small
loom. However, my colleague who weaves thinks it might be easier to make  them
with bobbins.
When one looks at classification of these laces in  collections, some are
classified as needle lace, whereas others are classified  as bobbin lace,
perhaps on the theory that the tapes which appear to be woven  are "bobbin
lace". However, the more skilled and remarkable work on the lace is  the needle
lace in my opinion. I am trying to figure out how they should be  classified.
Devon
P.S. In the 19th and early 20th century there were laces based  on these
early laces such as Battenburg lace that were quite popular. It is  often the
case that these are also called Mezzo Punto. In fact, it may be that  only
in the 19th century did they start to call the tape based laces of the 17th
century Mezzo Punto, so this adds to the confusion. I am assuming that all
the  tapes in the 19th and 20th century were machine woven.