Hi Devon and all.
I did some research into the early tapes for my book on Borris Lace. See
p.14
Mezzo Punto was first employed by lacemakers in Milan and Genoa in the 17th
century according to Mrs Head, The Lace and Embroidery Collector, 1922, p33.

The manufacture of braids was an important craft in medieval Europe where
they were produced in workshops and also made by noble women as a leisure
activity. Crowfoot E. et al, Textiles and Clothing 1150-1450, Museum of
London. 2008 p.130

I also found references to loom-woven linen tape produced in Holland prior
to 1885. Caulfield & Saward, A dictionary of needlework, 1885 p.472

I expect that the early tapes were produced by both loom and bobbins. An
early piece of Borris lace in the National Museum of Ireland dated 1868
contains a thick but narrow tape which resembles a tightly woven shoe lace
which I presume to have been made using a small loom similar to
illustrations in Crowfoot where the tape produced resembles this shoelace
style of tape.

An interesting topic but much that is written seems to be conjecture.
Unfortunately I haven't time at present to look up my research notes so have
just referred to what is mentioned in my book.

Regards
Annette in Wollongong Australia.

Devon wrote:

In the 17th century there were laces made from premade tapes.  The tapes
were tacked onto a pattern and filled with often very beautiful and
elaborate needle lace stitches. These tapes look to be of woven linen.
I would think it would be much easier to make such tapes with  a small loom.
However, my colleague who weaves thinks it might be easier to make  them
with bobbins.
P.S. In the 19th and early 20th century there were laces based  on these
early laces such as Battenburg lace that were quite popular. It is  often
the case that these are also called Mezzo Punto. In fact, it may be that
only in the 19th century did they start to call the tape based laces of the
17th century Mezzo Punto, so this adds to the confusion. I am assuming that
all the  tapes in the 19th and 20th century were machine woven.