In the beginning.... April 1995, I joined in July of that year.... the list was set up to reply to all, and all of us were on dial up because I think broadband hadn't been invented. Some were being charged per second of download time, and probably still are - it is easy to forget. A fair number didn't have computer access at home but were allowed to use the Internet during their lunch breaks, and that was mainly where the problem started. These company machines were set to automatically acknowledge (ie send message receipts) every email received, and Arachne was getting numerous bouncing messages due to these receipts being sent. So, to stop that, the settings were changed to reply to sender.

I find it fairly simple with my mail program (an equally old system, Demon's Turnpike!) to delete the individual from the "to" box, and move "lace@arachne.com" from the copy box to the "to" box, then hit send. Sometimes I forget, and if you get a message twice from me I apologise.

Welcome "back" Marianne, I do remember you posting from many years back.

In message <05e101cf069f$b0b25e40$12171ac0$@ca>, Marianne Gallant <m...@shaw.ca> writes

In the meantime, I want to make a few remarks as to why I think some people
don't contribute much, is because it is not easy to post to this list. The
way it is set up is that when you hit reply, the message gets send to the
person who posted the original message instead of the list. That is rather
disconcerting, considering that most if not all the Yahoo lists I belong to
are all set to reply to the list. One does not realize what happened if the
person who ends up getting the reply does not react, and you end up
wondering why your message never ended up on the list. Were you being
monitored and blocked? That would put people off and not ever bother posting
again.
--
Jane Partridge