Jean Nathan - regarding your "new" hex pillow - I get a thrill out of taking
something a little past its prime and fixing it like new.  It sounds like you
got a nice treat from an old treasure.  I wouldn't have thought of shaving the
bumpy stuff down.  I did put layers of wool over older pillows to get a
sturdier anchor for the pins.
Liz in sunny Missouri, USA where it will be warm today and cold and maybe
snowy tomorrow.

Lace content: I acquired a very large, old, lumpy, polystyrene, largehexagonal
pillow at a cost of almost nothing. It was rejected by others asbeing "past
it".  I took the cotton cover off, sanded the worst of the lumpsoff, put a
piece of thick wool coating material from my fabric stash on topand replaced
the cotton cover. I now have an almost new-feeling hexagonalpillow. I've now
just got to grow my arms long enough to reach to the far sideof it.Jean Nathan
in Poole, Dorset, UK