Janice,
I've now assembled the 2 poppies I made and thought I'd tell folks what I did.

Having drawn the black stamens on each of the 4 petals, I selected the 4 longest threads on each and made a Beds plait for about 4cm.

Then I stitched the 4 petals together up the lower half of each side, and cut the remaining threads to about 1cm long. After that I took some acid free craft glue and thoroughly glued all those 1cm ends together to make a "mat" for the hole between the petals. As soon as it was dry I used 3 strands of DMC black thread and using that mat as a base, fill the area with bullion stitches.

Lastly I took the 4 plaits and tied them into 2 reef knots forming 2 arches about 1cm high, glued that knot and trimmed off the remainder of the plaits.

The poppy is now easily attached to my suit jacket with a safety pin from the back through the 2 "U" shaped arches.

Thanks again Janice.
David in Ballarat, AUS. Off to Adelaide, South Australia in about 5 hours!!