Dear Jane

In my torchon days, my
favourite was the ctct at the corners, but
honeycomb stitch (ctt pin
ctt) at the centre pins; it seemed to round out the
centre.

For those who like
torchon with as wide a variety of stitches as
possible, or just sight
of a wide range to make a choice, Maidment's book
takes a lot of
beating.  I think it's now one of those books that everyone at
one
point had, but was superseded, very briefly by Doreen Wright, then
more
permanently by Pam Nottingham's beginners' books. However, the
torchon section
remains unsurpassed for this variety of
stitches - working the sampler gives
you a marvellous piece which
works as a genuine sampler, providing practice,
and an opportunity to see what
it looks like.  The rest is of its time, though
still a useful
additional resource in some circumstances.  Sadly, the
libraries of
the original owners are now becoming available, but this does
mean
that if you want one cheaply for reference, eg for the torchon
section,
they are available again, and I would recommend it.  I would
not recommend
paying fancy ebay prices though, or taking it as your
sole or main reference
book.  I see from the Lace Guild's list that they have a copy (or probably
more than one) for GBP 0.50; less than the cost of a postage stamp - at that
price, everyone should have one!!

leonard...@yahoo.com,
at present enjoying
the sun at the maternal home in Cheltenham, so
away from library, hence no
ISBNs.