Alice
Your description of your day sounds like a situation I encountered many years
ago. But you handled it very well.  And it sounds like a success.  I recall a
lace class where I asked for bright light, but got a large room with only 1
fluorescent bulb in each fixture. They were trying to save money, but the
students in the class complained all day about how they couldn't see. They
blamed me, I think. The group which had asked me to come in had engaged the
room, and whoever handled that had obviously not looked at the room when
dealing with the venue.

I also recall a day when the local guild had a meeting at a church (we were
using their space for all our meetings and had given them a list of dates for
the whole year). When we arrived we found another craft guild had already set
up in the space and they insisted that we leave, that they had reserved the
room. (Our reservation was older than theirs.) We refused to leave and
commandeered a small room within the space.

I guess the lesson from all this is that we can't rely on people outside our
guilds and activities to understand our needs.  Somehow, we need to find a way
to make sure that the teacher's requirements are understood. Perhaps this
means a letter listing all the requirements, and another letter from them
accepting those requirements, followed up by a phone call.

But I can honestly also recall a major gaffe of my own. I was supposed to give
a lace identification lecture using my own projector. When I got there I found
out the bulb had burned out. A local woman came to the rescue and went out and
found a replacement. I think, in the end, they enjoyed the lecture. But I sure
was an idiot that day.

Lorelei