Clay,

However, I have found that in Binche, when I have long stretches of half-stitch, punctuated by gimps, the more pressing need is to be certain that the same bobbin is leading through all of this, so that giant holes don't appear when tensioning "downstream", so to speak. In cases like this, I may even add two twists.

I fully agree with all you wrote. However, if you imagine a large leaf with a gimp or pair of gimps acting as the vein, it is a passive pair passing from one side to the other, so the leading bobbin is unaffected. It is this passive pair which I am wondering was given a twist as it passed through the gimp.

Actually I've found it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, except that I reckon the work just looks better if I don't twist it. That way both threads in the passive pair will keep going in their original direction. There are no great holes because of the gimp and the leading bobbin going round a pin.

Gosh it's far easier just to DO it than try and talk about it in mere words!!
:)
David in Ballarat, AUS