You are right, Ruth. The tip off to when you have actually  been hacked is
when you start receiving all the "can't deliver mail" messages  from all the
outdated email addresses in your address book. I have had that  happen to
me and changing the password did stop it. But if, as you say, this  other
thing is happening, that won't help.

I guess it is just part of the annoyance of receiving email  that you
receive emails that look like they are from people you know who  breathlessly
want to acquaint you with some wonderful website. Since people I  know never
exhibit that behavior, I just blow all those away.

Devon