When I've sent review copies of my book I've always expected an 'honest' review in return! The book is not sent as a 'bribe' for a 'positive' review but it is hoped that it will be given to someone who is knowledgeable about the subject of the book and will therefore give an 'honest' and knowledgeable appraisal. Of course all authors hope for a positive review as they believe their book to contain clear working instructions/diagrams with supporting images - they wouldn't have wasted their time writing it in the first place if they believed it to be a poor representation of the title and likely to be 'remaindered'! However, would be purchasers would like an honest appraisal to help them decided whether or not to purchase a copy. It's not always possible to see a copy of these books before we buy them and if the book reviewer's name is included with the review and known to be knowledgeable on the subject, his/her 'honest' review will be respected and they will hopefully not write something that they do not believe to be a true valuation. Thy are NOT given to groups on return for a positive review!

Catherine Barley
UK


Catherine Barley Needlelace
www.catherinebarley.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bev Walker" <[email protected]>
Subject: [lace] Re: Book review information/ was Reprints


In answer, I don't see why an honest opinion can't be written on behalf of
the author. Review copies aren't 'free' - they are given to groups in
return for a positive review. If a book is so poor that it merits a
negative review, then the copy should be returned to the author, not kept
in the group's library. Never in all the many years that I've written
reviews on lace books have I had to do this.

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 10:45 AM, Mousie <[email protected]> wrote:

I think I would slightly disagree with Bev on this point. Following the
guidelines we are given, the reviews I've written for Lace have always been
based on my honest opinion of the book, and not written "on behalf of the
author" which would, I feel, be biased.



-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to