Hi Marianne:

Structurally there is no difference between these two methods, which are called
the ‘open pin’ (TTTC) or the ‘closed pin’ (CTTT) method, and Chantilly can be
made either way. (In Ulrike Voelcker’s  book “The Grammar of Point Ground” she
uses the closed pin method.)

With the open pin method, at the end of the stitch all of the threads are
hanging side by side with no twists. As a result, if a bobbin gets out of
place, it is very easy for beginners to see the mistake. With the closed pin
method, all the the pairs are left twisted and for beginners, if one bobbin
hops over another it can be difficult to see the problem.

What method is used depends on the teacher’s method and teaching plan. It is
helpful for you if, in following the book, you do the lace the way the teacher
says, because there will be a difference if the teacher has specified
additional twists. For example, if the teacher is using the open method and is
laying in a gimp, she might have directions that read something like “put up
the pin at A and put two twists on the right-hand pair”. If you are using the
closed pin method you will already have three twists on that pair, and you need
to realize that you ought to take off one twist, rather than put on two more.

If you start using the open pin method just for this book, I am sure you will
soon find it quite easy. When I was brand new to lacemaking, I learned from
Doris Southward’s book, which uses the open method. The first time I had a
teacher, it was at a conference, and she used the closed pin method. It was not
an easy class for either me or the teacher, but I think having the early
exposure to both working methods made me a much better lacemaker in the end.

Adele
West Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)