First, let me thank all who wrote with suggestions & resources!  That's quite a
reading list & I'd better get started before I'm in the urn.  Second, I don't
think my effort will be particularly scholarly so perhaps I won't offend those
who are more detail oriented.  If I can identify the major laces by quarter
century, that would be a place to start.  I do think it will help me have a
better understanding of the hows & whys by comparing my lace timeline to other
historical events.  When I found that my taste in music & art shared a
timeline, it was an epiphany.  Lorelei, your many wonderful
examples/explanations on your website are very helpful.  Unfortunately, I'm not
a member of Pinterest so can't view anything using your link so will use your
regular site.  Linda, thanks for mentioning genealogy as some laces might
better relate to a "lace tree".  Devon, Adele & Agnes, I will ask the library
to track down the Gwynne Dictionary.  It will give them something to do besides
!
 requesting James Patterson novels & DVDs.  Plus it's always good to try before
you buy.  Brian, thanks for the Honiton reference.  One can never know enough
about this charming technique!  Last but not least, it would seem like I could
cross reference some of the entries in the Lace app.  It's moments like this
that make me wish I could remember how to use Excel--fill in the cells & sort
by category!  Egad.  Sincerely, Susan Hottle, Erie, PA USA