It was seeing one of those panels displayed in a shop window forty years ago
that first inspired me to join a lacemaking class.

I saw it in the window of a department store (Chiesman’s) in Gravesend, Kent
in 1985 and stood looking at it for as long as my 3 year old daughter would
allow me to.  I could see that it wasn’t knitted, it wasn’t crocheted and
it wasn’t conventional weaving, but I didn’t have a clue as to how it
might have been constructed.

I had just had the second of two miscarriages that year and desperately wanted
to do something creative.  The local adult education service was offering
bobbin lace classes so I signed up.  If I couldn’t make another baby then
I’d make some lace instead!  I didn’t quite learn how to make Nottingham
lace but by the end of the first year in classes I was pregnant with the
twins, and the rest is history.

I think that the panel I was was probably the one now in Sheerness
http://www.visit-swale.co.uk/things-to-do/history-and-heritage/battle-of-brit
ain-lace-panel

Brenda

> On 19 Sep 2015, at 13:59, gil...@aol.com wrote:
>
> I know many lacemakers are interested in the Battle of  Britain
> Commemorative Lace Panels, despite their machine, rather than hand,  origin,

Brenda in Allhallows
paternos...@appleshack.com
www.brendapaternoster.co.uk