Dear Lacemakers,

This memo came in over the weekend, and I responded directly to  the author
in Australia.  Upon further thought, it occurred to me that  maybe I should
find out from the remainder of our membership if they think I  have an
"attitude", since I am definitely the one who puts the Archive address  in many
posts!  My comments (shortened for this list) are below this  posting, and I
have trimmed the writer's name, because she is a lurker:
----
In a message dated 1/15/2016

"I am a lurker to Arachne and do find reading my emails very  informative,
it is lovely to see how helpful and friendly lace makers  are!!

"However, some recent emails that come through have a very negative  and
unproductive attitude to sharing information.

"With this current  attitude I don't feel like making an enquiry.

"This is my current opinion  and hopefully the attitude changes.

"Also another point to consider, I  didn't know how to send an email to the
group for over 6 months, so maybe a  politely written email every few
months on the correct email address, how to  trim posts and how to access the
illusive ARCHIVES would be helpful and greatly  appreciated."
---
Jeri's condensed version of correspondence with the lurker:

1.  Since attitude was mentioned 3 times in connection with sharing of
information, and because I wrote to the lurker for a clarification of the
problem, I know that she primarily objects to being referred to our  Archives.
This is something I often do, and usually I give the complete  Archive
address. She wants questions re-answered.

Some of our correspondents do not understand how many hours some of us
spend helping others.  If you search the Archives by any of our names,  you
will see that a lot of accumulated information is available from teachers,
thread experts, authors, historians, museum personnel, etc.  Archive
information is also filed by subject(s).  A lot of search options are  possible
for
some memos.  Additionally, though you see the publicly  available
correspondence, perhaps everyone needs to be reminded there  are a lot of
private
personal letters going out, as well.

We have an Archive so related comprehensive information can be saved and
used.  **We have members who do not want to read the same information  over
and over.**  Personally, I know many members skip my memos  altogether
because they tend to be long on details.  They can be shorter if  the Archive
is
recommended.

One of my personal missions is to (by example) **teach people how to  do
research and how to think constructively/creatively** so they can function
better at this time in history and in the future.  Knowing how to  do research
will become more and more critical in years ahead.   It presently looks
like there will be less lace-knowledgeable people  (per capita) to consult in
the years ahead.

2.  Managing replies:  When we first started 20+ years ago, there  were
some countries where users were charged by-the-memo, not by a time period  (per
month).  Australia may have been one of them.  I cannot  remember.  As a
consequence, members can opt to receive (a) Each  original message, or (b) the
Digest - a string of unrelated messages  that may have been posted over
several days before subscribers receive  it.  The Digest form can be confusing
to read if it contains a lot of  repetitions because of several replies to a
subject.  That explains  why Digest readers complained about repetitions.
That is why we  are reminded by our Web mistress to "trim" away unnecessary
already  said sentences and to "trim" the 4 lines of administrative
information.

3.  We are all volunteers when we reply to Arachne.  Arachne is  not a
business, or financed by one.  A private person provides the  free-to-us
server.
 Our volunteer Web mistress has many demands on her  time.  She rarely
intrudes.  If someone is insulting or sending  commercial advertising, she
steps
in.  We appreciate her time  and expertise.

We all need to know:

Did other members have problems with learning to use  Arachne?

Were you guided through the process by fellow lacemakers at the  beginning?

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center