Ireland doesn’t have any tradition of bobbin lace - but they do have some
wonderful needle laces ; Youghal, Carric-ma-Cross, Limerick….

Scotland doesn’t have any tradition of bobbin lace, but the Shetland Isles
(norse rather than Celtic) have lovely knitted lace.  Also Ayrshire work which
is between needlelace and fine embroidery.

Wales doesn’t have any tradition of bobbin lace either; their fibre crafts
are mostly weaving.

Cornwall doesn’t have any tradition of bobbin lace, but just across the
county border into Devon (just about into the Celtic region) is Honiton.  A
huge amount of bobbin lace was made in the villages around Monition, but also
in the area Branscombe Point needle lace was made.

Isle of Man doesn’t have any lace traditions.

Brittany has the elaborate lace head dresses, but they seem to be made from
all sorts of laces - bobbin, needle, machine.  It’s not a traditional
lacemaking area.

Galicia is most definitely a Celtic region, but again I don’t think they
have any tradition of bobbin lace.

Brenda

> I'd like to find some information about bobbin lace specifically in the
> Celtic nations (officially: Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Isle of Man, Brittany
> [northwest corner of France], and Cornwall, and some lists also include
> Galicia in northern Spain). Can someone recommend a book or other source of
> such information? All I've found online is about Ireland, and not very much
> of that.

Brenda in Allhallows
paternos...@appleshack.com
www.brendapaternoster.co.uk