Devon, may I refer you to the Spring 2011 issue of Surface Design?  It was
serendipitous that I was cleaning my studio over the weekend & found my copy.
There are a number of examples that might be right up your alley.  Artists
include:  Iveta Mihalikova, Silvia Federova, Lauran Sundin, Lenka Suchanek,
Anniebell Marrngmarrnga, Ann Mondo, Pauline Verbeek-Cowert, Kim Lieberman, Nava
Lubelski, Tord Boontje, Sheila Pepe, Demakersvan, Jill Nordfors Clark, Dorie
Millerson & Nancy Koenigsberg.  I did not include any of the featured artists
who create lace-like items that are blowtorch-cut-steel or sewn pieces of
fabric.  I only included those that employ manipulated "threads" using lace
stitches.  Some of the artists make lace art to wear, either clothing or
jewelry.  Others make something to hang or display.  All of it is art to me & I
would be delighted to own, wear or display these pieces if I could afford to!
To this list I would add Jane Atkinson & the aforementioned Pierre !
 Fouche.  My criteria?  Is it relevant?  Does it speak to me?  They do!  Will
you include fashion at the couturier level?  If so, Mme. Arpin deserves a place
for her contributions to French fashion.  There may be others.  As much as I
admire & enjoy vintage lace, there are only so many mats, cuffs, coifs &
collars that I can take before my eyes glaze over.  Unless millennials are
members of SCA or another group with historical projects, I suspect they feel
the same.  Many of the pieces shown in Surface Design are just as exciting &
visually challenging as Chihuly, Chagall or Calder--in other words ART!  Hope
this helps.  Sincerely, Susan Hottle, Erie, PA USA

Sent from my iPad