No one has lace news today?  There is always something to learn  about
lace...

The same January/February 2017 issue of "Victoria" magazine that I  wrote
about on Christmas Day has a feature about 7 outstanding businesswomen who
reap the rewards of doing what they truly love for a living.

One that stood out to me was a woman who makes "carved porcelain".   Very
expensive - but, an inspiration.  She had a practical career that  supported
her for many years, which we can relate to.  Now, she supports  herself by
creating these wonderful pieces of lacy porcelain art.   (You will wonder who
is buying these, at these prices. Obviously, she is  able to earn more per
hour than any of today's lacemakers!)

http://www.isabelleabramson.com/

Do you know someone just starting out, after completing their  education?
In the U.S. they will most likely be thousands of dollars in  debt for
tuition loans.  One very nice Valentine's  Day "surprise" of something
lace-inspired (but, at a  much lower price) would be so wonderful to someone
just
beginning  to live on her own.  It could be a life-long reminder that the
person who gave it to her was one of those very rare people who loved/made
lace
in the early 21st century.

When furnishing my first home in 1956, a woman I did not know well gave me
2 very lovely antique water glasses and 2 silver grapefruit spoons.   Not
the most practical gifts for someone with one plate/one cup and saucer/one
cereal bowl/one cheap setting of utensils/one pot in which to warm up water
or  soup, etc. Sixty years later, Mrs. Piper is still remembered when  these
little "civilizers" are used.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center