Basically, the challenge is to get the lappets out of the lace conference and
onto the runways. How hard could that be? Fashion designers always borrow from
the past. I don’t think a simple expedient such as transforming lappets into
scarves is going to appeal to the fashion world which is always interested in
extremes. A full lappet ensemble with cap seems more likely. I think the
lappet style is rather flattering to the face. After all, it started in the
late 17th century and lasted until the late 19th century. Any style that
durable has to have genuine appeal.

There is no reason to think that Mark Jacobs, a man who once appeared at the
Costume Institute gala in a black (machine made) lace dress, would not try a
gender reversal on the lappet as well, as Adele suggests.

A larger problem that I see is that many of the best lappets required the fine
thread that is no longer available to make them in their historical
proportions. An attempt to recreate an antique lappet with the thread of today
might turn into more of a wall  hanging, or curtain, possibly a toga if it
were to be worn.

While Alice feels that it is the patterns that should be preserved, and they
are very pretty, perhaps lappet wearers of the 21st century would prefer
different themes than floral. Maybe they would like lappets with themes of
social commentary, or even abstract lappets.

Perhaps this would be a good topic for a lace contest. The Lappet of
Tomorrow.

Devon in dreary NJ