<<Lorelei writes: . If this is machine embroidery, I can only think "chemical
lace", but if it is do-it-yourself the Chemical part can't be at issue.
Interesting.>>
In fact, I think it is “chemical lace”. The further instructions say that
you have to use something called Vilene Water Soluble Stabilizer. According to
a google search Water soluble embroidery stabilizers (WSS) will dissolve
completely when immersed in water leaving no backing at all. They are prefect
when you need an embroidery stabilizer to disappear leaving nothing behind.
They are most widely used in free standing embroidery applications such as
free standing lace (FSL). We offer two types of water soluble stabilizer -
Vilene and Badgemaster
In Chemical Lace they do the embroidery on a surface, like a fabric or paper,
that can then be dissolved away. Originally I think that there was some kind
of cotton thread/protein based surface contrast allowing the protein based
surface to be dissolved without harming the cotton thread. Now, I think the
surface is synthetic.
So, it is a do-it-yourself chemical lace. I don’t think that this is
particularly new. I seem to recall people in the EGA experimenting with it
years ago. Admittedly, it is border line frightening that anyone with an
embroidery machine can make something like the FSL Crochet Easter Egg set,
which actually duplicates the look of bobbin lace, not crochet, and it is
really hard to tell the difference without super close-ups as Lorelei says.
https://www.advanced-embroidery-designs.com/html/24163.html
The site that I linked to was one where they seem to make the lace on more of
a Levers machine, which seemed like a new thing to me.
Devon