This just happened to my lace group in the USA.
My treasurer received an email from "me" requesting a check mailed
immediately.  When questioned, the scammer said it was for supplies for PLS
from a vendor.  Send the check to Ann Carpenter in Reno, Nevada.  It was
over $1000.

A couple emails later, my treasurer changed the subject line on an email and
it came to me instead of the scammer.  My reply of puzzlement let my
treasurer take action before damage was done.  The whole bank account was
closed and will be reopened today with a new number.  Also, she's filing a
police report with name and address of scammer, plus info that the mailed
check would be delivered Friday.

I don't think my computer was hacked.  I think someone researched lace groups
and pulled out the president and treasurer's emails and group name.  Be sure
you have procedures set up to verify billings to your lace group before
sending checks.  This could happen to any organizaation.
Alice in Oregon