Hello Devon and everyone

While I can't offer insights into a lace celebration (though, why not,
ale?! sounds a plan)....I spent an instructional afternoon today testing
the Cattern Cakes recipe found here. Its rising agent is yeast, yes it
works as mix-in:
http://www.lynsted.com/Recipes/Cookbook/Cattern_Cakes.html

No references, scholarship doubtful? but the Tudor connection is
interesting. Coincidentally on PBS, there was a re-run of Bake Off, Tudor
Week - the Jumble Biscuits are spiced similar to Cattern Cakes. Their knot
configuration could be considered lace-themed?
http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/jumble-biscuits/

At the PBS site there is a link to a UK-to-North American ingredient
converter. I used it to convert the measures for the Cattern Cakes with
yeast. As for any other time I've tried to make Cattern Cakes, the dough is
homely, the pinwheel effect is indistinct, the size of each cake is huge
(yield in this batch,12) and I needed 30 min. baking time even at 400 deg.
F. for crisp, as in not gummy and underdone, results. Two in the household
and a guest offered to sample, all having several just to make sure.
Perhaps appearance isn't the main thing.

HTH

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of
Canada