I am attempting to write a catalog for the Lace, not Lace: Contemporary Fiber
Art from Lacemaking Techniques.
The exhibit will include the work of Ros Hills, Lieve Jerger, and Jill
Nordfors Clark who I consider to have begun their activity during the lace
revival of the 1970s. If I were to try to establish a context for what was
happening in lace at that time, what are the most important things that I
would touch on?
Off the top of my head:
Last remnants of the lace collecting boom of the 1920s and the early 20th
century lace craft industry revivals.
Kathe Kliot and Lacis
Robin Lewis Wild and the large Tennessee Valley piece
The Bi-Centennial in the US, and its interest in Colonial Crafts
A generalized craft revival due to a variety of social and economic aspects,
such as a rejection of consumerism, the hippie movement, embroidered jeans,
macramé, string art.
The lace show at the Cooper-Hewitt, which was actually in the early 1980s.

I began to make lace in 1971, but I was not a very objective observer of what
was going on and how it fit into any kind of historical context.
What do people think accounted for and contributed to the surge of interest in
lace in 1970s? What should be included?

Devon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10