I too started lacemaking in The early 70s but I had seen it in Golden Hands and
found a local handicraft group that were putting a class on.  Well I was going
for embroidery classes at the time, but moved over to the lace class,
supposedly for one term but which continued for a lot longer, to learn lace.
Then the County Adult Education classes, I think, started in the mid 70s but
also Doreen Wright wrote a book  on lacemaking and the Lace guild was started
in 1976.  Suppliers then found that people wanted bobbins, I bought my first
ones from Doreen Fudge who was at Luton Museum, and then lace days started
which I believe encouraged more Lacemakers, which encouraged more classes.  I
was also a member of IOLI about 1974 and only didn't rejoin when the Lace Guild
started.  I started to teach lacemaking when the local teacher had a waiting
list but didn't have enough hours or days in The week to start another class,
but that was about 1980 I think.   And it was very much a case !
 of being one step ahead of the students at the time because there were gaps in
the beginning laces I had somehow skipped!

Incidentally I learnt to knit whilst in primary school, was taught dressmaking
at school and by my mother in law,  and taught myself to crochet in 1970 as I
wanted to crochet myself a dress.  Suffice to say it was started at the top and
very short!

Maureen Bromley
E Yorks UK