Thank to Joepie’s kind efforts, I was finally—after a lot of
searching—able to find the “White Coated Metal Ring For
Crafts—20cm/Metal Wire & Craft Hoops”.  They can be found through
Amazon—but in Britain only!  If you want them in the US, you can find them,
but instead of costing 1.90 you will have to pay over $40 for the same thing.

The suggestion that one might use lampshade rings is unfortunately not a
useful one, as they are made of a lighter wire than is used in these rings.
It is easy to find brass ones of the correct size (3mm thickness of wire) but
Lyn’s idea that they could be painted wouldn’t work for me.

I have no idea where I got my first three rings—in a set of 3”, 5”, and
8” diameters—but it may well have been at one of the congresses where
suppliers display so many delightful treasures.  In any case, perhaps a
supplier on Arachne might be able to check for availability in the US and
perhaps elsewhere.

Thanks again to all who wrote with suggestions.

Best, Tess