Lace, Not Lace: Contemporary Fiber Art from Lacemaking Techniques ?    Do
you think - Not Lace - might be more appropriate than originally intended ?

Some of us may not be on the same wave length as Needle Lace Revivalists.

A comment is in order from someone whose lace and embroidery studies and
reading history is way above normal.  Personally owning (and having read)
over 4,000 books on lace and embroidery surely qualifies.  Please remember
embroiderers consider needle lace to be embroidery because it is made with a
threaded needle.  From an educational point of view, it is important to be
able to distinguish between what we have always thought about lace and what is
being presented in this exhibit as - Not Lace.

Perhaps the - Not Lace - is more appropriate than most of us first thought.

Others who agree should feel free to bravely comment that some examples of the
Needle Lace Revival  (discussed extensively yesterday) vulgarize
long-established traditional needle lace techniques and design principles.

Have you ever been breathless when viewing an exceptional lace made by someone
like Catherine Barley?  My wish is that one lace by Catherine (or a quality
photo) could be in the exhibit - for comparison, since at least one of the
needle lace revivalists claims to have studied her work.  Will the public be
short-changed because they do not see any lace examples that inspired
revivalists?

Are we being overly polite, waiting for someone else to defend the laces we
have grown to love after many years of study?  Does that indicate a demeaning
of the time it takes to become a lace master?

At this stage in history, any lace exhibit is better than none.  In a world
that does not equally acknowledge art created by women by showing it in
anywhere near equal quantities to that of men in our greatest museums (which
are supported by disproportionate tax funding and volunteer work provided by
women), Devon Thein is on a brave mission to expose the public to a different
perspective about lace.  She is acknowledging that young lace artists of
today (usually female) make affordable laces that can be sold.  She is a dear
personal friend to many of us, and we hope the exhibit she is curating is very
successful.

At the same time, dear Arachne subscribers, please do not feel you should
abandon your values because it seems others are doing so.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center
In a message dated 3/28/2018 4:40:40 AM Eastern Standard