Well, this is exciting. The exhibit is controversial!

The title, Lace, not Lace was meant to refer to the fact that the public
considers anything that is white and has holes in it to be lace. But, the
purpose of the exhibit is to show pieces made in bobbin and needle lace
techniques and includes many pieces that are not white and many that are
rather solid in appearance, such as two pieces by Ros Hills.

The needle lacers that we discussed yesterday are Maggie Hensel-Brown who uses
Punto in Aria technique. E.J. Parkes whose work that depicts an arm is worked
in very finely worked needle lace, although in color. Penny Nichols’s works
Jersey Devil and Just Girly Things will be in the show. Penny also did a piece
that is not going to be in the show, The Endurance, which has the snow effects
we were talking about. There are some widely spaced irregular stitches in The
Endurance in the snow area. But, in fact this is not the direction in which
Penny’s work is going. I think that Just Girly Things and the Jersey Devil
are more revolutionary in terms of subject matter than technique. I am very
impressed by the technique of these artists, which they have learned from
masters…I don’t think I could make these pieces. In the Jersey Devil,
Penny uses three different weights of thread in corded Brussels stitch to
indicate gradations between snow and sand.

What do the members of Arachne think of these works, having looked at them? I
am interested to hear the views of Arachne, because I am writing a catalog and
it would be useful to know how people who were part of the lace revival of the
1970s feel about the lace revival of the twenty teens.

I am planning to put information in the catalog about the forerunners. But,
the museum is a Contemporary Art Museum which was interested in having a
contemporary lace show.

The needle lace artists in the show are Ros Hlls, Jill Nordfors Clark, Dorrie
Millerson, Penny Nickels, Maggie Hensel-Brown, Agnes Herczeg, E.J. Parkes, and
Nava Lubelski.

What do you think of the work? By all means, don’t be polite.

Devon