I received this privately, “You asked if bobbin and needle lace had anything
in common, once the original look-alike aspect had diminished?  Thinking
about this, I thought I’d consult Jack Lenor Larsen’s ‘Interlaced’, as
an accepted authority, but of course needlelace doesn’t figure in that at
all.  Whereas bobbin lace is the most complex of all the interlacings (which
include knotting and weaving, basketry etc), needle lace is an entirely
different process.  It’s embroidery.

Both incorporate space/air; how much or how little, is up to the
practitioner.  The further away from each other the threads are, the thicker
they have to be to re-connect visually; Ros used quite fine ones, so chose to
put them close together for the colour to sing.  It’s a very interesting
subject all of its own.”

This commenter says needle lace is embroidery, and I am observing that the
needle lace books of the 1970s seemed to be making the leap off of fabric, but
still retaining a very “embroiderly” look to them. But, interestingly,
Milton Sonday, when he put on his notable show in 1982 called “Lace”,
observed that “Needle-made lace is based on one of the oldest and most
universal techniques: looping.”

I think that you can probably find looping in textiles and baskets produced by
stone age people. Perhaps looping even predates embroidery.

Devon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10