I found Arachne just after it's first anniversary so I'm not quite a charter
member but it was soon after I started making lace.

The discussions gave me lots of good information and helped my lacemaking.
Then the group decided they wanted a conference so Arachne 98 was born.  Thanks
to Pat and Margaret, we had 60 people from all over the world meet in
Nottingham for a week of fun and classes, including attending one of England's
large lace fairs.  This sounded so interesting that I decided to attend. It was
my first trip off my continent.

A group of us met at the Victoria and Albert museum in London before the
conference.  I think there were a couple dozen or more.  We attended a lace
talk, and surprised the presenter.  She was used to only 2 or 3 people at a
time.  I even met a lacemaker who lives 30 miles from me who has since become a
good friend.

The Arachne conversations have covered an enormous range of topics.  The
archives has much information for the person who wants to search a bit -- from
picots to tallies to Russian fillings,etc.

We have had up to 3000 members at times.  I haven't seen a count for several
years so I don't know how many we are right now.

In the beginning, there was only one list.  To separate the lace topics from
the other things, the Lace-Chat list was started.  All non-lace topics were to
be directed there (recipes, grandkids, vacations).  Each person can sign up for
either or both lists.

We had Secret Pals for six-month intervals.  A non-identified gift was sent
once a month with the sender's name revealed in the last gift. We also had the
occasional ornament or bookmark exchange.  Once we had a hanky (lace-edged, of
course) exchange. That was in '98 because I exchanged mine in Nottingham
instead of mailing it.

We all generally got along very well, but about twice a year someone would say
something that upset someone else, and there would be a short fuss. Liz, our
list owner, does not have time to monitor all that is said, so we got Avital to
be the Moderator, to step in when someone got testy.  Most conversations are on
topic and positive. I think we may be one of the longest continuously active
lists on the internet.

Arachne has stimulated my lace interests and given me friends all around the
world.  It has led me to Europe twice, with a third trip in the planning.

Happy Anniversary to Arachne -- and may it continue a long time.  Thank you,
Liz Reynolds.

Alice in Oregon -- where it has been raining off and on for days with no letup
in sight.